TBGBL Talk Version 4.0

An Even Newer Forum for all Things TBGBL....

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bizarre Happenings in Trash vs Mojos

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Bizarre Happenings in Trash vs Mojos on Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:47 am

http://torontobaseballguys.com/tbgbl/2015041500080.htm

This game was notable for a variety of reasons mostly relating to shoddy umpiring....

1. Jose Quintana was kicked out of the game without a warning, when he hit Colby Rasmus with a pitch. Rasmus must have charged the mound and for some reason Quintana was booted. This had terrible consequences for the Trash because...

2. Jonathan Papelbon, despite being listed as only a closer, was brought on to pitch in the third inning. However, he clearly wasn't given enough warm-up time, since he was then somehow injured for 26 games, without even throwing a pitch in the game? The other explanation could be that he was injured in the brawl?

Does DMB allow brawls and have some sort of statistical input/output method that randomizes brawl injuries? What is the statistical probability of this happening as inputted into the game?

Why wasn't someone else hurt? Papelbon? Did he slip on a sprinkler-head while running in from the bullpen?

View user profile

2 Re: Bizarre Happenings in Trash vs Mojos on Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:43 am

Papelbon did not pitch. He was injured when he joined what looks like a bench clearing brawl....

There are brawls, yes. And they are not dependent on any particular stat... Just can be triggered by HBPs...

View user profile

3 Re: Bizarre Happenings in Trash vs Mojos on Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:03 am

What I said, or will now clarify, is that, for a computer to take a certain action, it must have a specific code entered into it by a human being. For Papelbon to be injured in a brawl, a code must exist that says "when brawl occurs, xyz must happen." I was amazed that the programmer actually entered such a code, and am wondering what the code says as it resulted in a random reliever getting injured. That's pretty in-depth coding. That's why I asked what sort of statistical input/output (Code) is used to randomize brawl injuries? And the statistical probability? So yes, they are influenced by codes, which I should have said instead of "stat." Anyone who knows coding knows that having this event happen is an incredible piece of coding. Way to go DMB developers.

View user profile

4 Re: Bizarre Happenings in Trash vs Mojos on Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:04 am

I was hoping we had a "coding nerd" out there, who shares an interest like myself, and might shed some light onto such a code.

View user profile

5 Re: Bizarre Happenings in Trash vs Mojos on Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:46 am

Okay, my mind is so totally blown by this episode that I frantically got in touch with one of my ex-students, who has won a few National awards for computer programming.

He has said that the coding for this single event would be over 5 pages in length! In its simplest form, the person who created DMB would have to have told the computer that in the case of an HPB, there's an X% chance of a brawl. In the case of a brawl, there is an X% chance for an injury to players on both sides. And then there would need to be a randomizer code that selects a particular player from one of the sides to be injured.

Wow DMB! This is simply incredible.

View user profile

6 Re: Bizarre Happenings in Trash vs Mojos on Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:18 pm

Similar game for the Hawks last season...Ben "The Ninja" Paulsen was hit by a pitch and obviously charged the mound. AJ Burnett, who threw the offending pitch, was hurt for 40+ games. Eduardo Nunez who was not in the game and obviously left the bench during the brawl was also injured for 40+ games...

View user profile

7 Re: Bizarre Happenings in Trash vs Mojos on Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:55 pm

The real impressive part of the coding would be if Papelbon had a greater chance of participating in and getting hurt in a brawl than his more level-headed peers.

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum